This cake is perfect for those warm summer days to come. A light citrus cake!
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon orange extract
1 orange, sliced (optional)
1/3 cup orange juice
2/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup butter
1. Grease a 9 inch springform pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, stir together cake mix and pudding mix. Make a well in the center and pour in 3/4 cup orange juice, oil, eggs, and orange extract. Beat on low speed until blended. Scrape bowl, and beat 4 minutes on medium speed. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake in oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
4. In a saucepan over medium heat, cook 1/3 cup orange juice, sugar and butter for two minutes. Drizzle over cake. Place orange slices on top for decoration.
I don’t really prefer salads, but this is the salad I always make and bring whenever there are potlucks, birthdays, and what not. This salad is especially perfect for the summer time.
1 cup cashew halves
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 head of red romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
1 package of mixed greens (spinach, rucola, whatever works)
1/2 medium pear, cut into small cubes
1/2 cup halved seedless green grapes
1. In a large, dry skillet over medium-high heat, heat up the butter and toast cashews until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove cashews to a dish to cool slightly.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together curry powder, brown sugar, salt, cayenne pepper, and toasted cashews. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, stir together apple cider vinegar, mustard, and honey. Slowly whisk in olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
4. In a large salad bowl, toss dressing with mixed greens, pear cubes, grapes, and curried cashews.