This past month, it was two of my coworkers’ birthdays. One liked French Vanilla, the other liked Strawberry Shortcake. So I combined the two. A great dessert for a spring birthday gathering.
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 cup butter, softened
7 to 8 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 tapblespoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch cake pan, and dust the inside with flour and tap out excess. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together and set aside.
2. Beat the butter for 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat another 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat thoroughly after each addition.
3. Start adding the flour mixture one cup at a time. Alternate with the milk, and end with the flour mixture. Add the vanilla, mix well and pour into prepared cake pan.
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes or when a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Transfer to a rack and cool.
5. For the frosting, place the softened butter in a mixing bowl and beat with 1/2 of the powdered sugar. Add the vanilla and milk, and mix well. Add another cup of powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until you reach the desired consistency to spread. Beat until light and fluffy, and spread on the cooled cake. Top with strawberries.